Roast Beef & Gravy
- 2-3 lb boneless beef roast (eye of round, sirloin tip roast or cut of your choice)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp. Angostura® Aromatic Bitters, divided
- Salt & fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 C water
- 1 14 oz can beef broth
- 2-3 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp brandy
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine 1 Tbsp olive oil with 1 tsp Angostura bitters. Rub all over roast. Sprinkle meat generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat another tablespoon olive oil in a small roasting pan on the stovetop. Brown meat on all sides over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and water to pan. Roast, uncovered, 45 minutes or until cooked as desired. Internal temperature should be 145ºF for medium-rare meat, 160ºF for medium, and 170ºF for well done.
- While beef roasts, combine broth, 2 Tbsp flour, 1 tsp Angostura® Aromatic Bitters and brandy; stir until smooth and flour is dissolved. When meat is done, remove from pan and cover with foil. Remove onion and garlic with a slotted spoon. Place pan on stovetop over medium-high heat. Add broth mixture and stir constantly, scrapping browned bits from bottom of pan. Continue to stir until gravy has thickened. For thicker gravy, add a third tablespoon of flour to 1/4 cup water; stir until smooth. Add a tablespoon or two hot gravy to this mixture, and then stir into roasting pan. Continue stirring until gravy thickens more. Serve with sliced roast beef.
Nutrition information per serving (2 lb. eye of round roast): 200 calories, 26g protein, 4g carb, 9g fat (2g sat. fat), 60mg chol, 300mg sodium, 0g fiber