Recipe by Pastry Chef Kelly Fields of Willa Jean | New Orleans, LA
Adapted by StarChefs
This recipe was created by Pastry Chef Kelly Fields of Willa Jean and adapted by StarChefs for the 2016 StarChefs New Orleans Rising Stars.
- 1 lb butter
- 1½ C sugar
- 2½ C light brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs
- 3 C pastry flour
- 3 C bread flour
- 1½ Tbsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 lb Valrhona Guanaja 70%, chopped
- 8 oz Valrhona Caramelia, chopped
- 8 oz Valrhona Dulcey, chopped
- 1 qt milk
- ½ oz sugar
- ½ Tahitian vanilla bean
- 6 oz Angostura 7-year rum
- Large crystal sea salt
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle, cream butter and sugars.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Reduce speed to low, add flours, baking powder and soda, and vanilla. Mix until fully incorporated.
- With the speed on low, add chocolate and stir until mixed.
- Using an ice cream scoop, portion dough. Rest in refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Heat an oven to 350°F.
- To a small mixing bowl, add sugar.
- To a baking sheet, add vanilla bean and warm in oven for 10 seconds. Remove and split down middle. Using the backside of a knife, scrape both sides of pod to remove seeds.
- Using your fingers, cut vanilla seeds into the bowl with sugar, breaking the clusters of seeds.
- In a separate bowl, add sugar-vanilla mixture to milk. Add rum and whisk.
- Allow to sit for several hours for flavors to infuse.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place dough evenly onto a lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and place directly into center of the oven.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes for larger cookies, 15 minutes for smaller cookies, turning entire tray 180° during baking.
- Serve cookies with Angostura Rum Tahitian Vanilla Milk.