Angostura bitters adds richness and depth to the crispy topping of this traditional sweet-tart autumn dessert.
Recipe by Rita Held, Angostura Culinary Ambassador
- 5 apples, unpeeled
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp Angostura® aromatic bitters
- 3/4 C flour
- 3/4 C rolled oats
- 1/2 C packed dark brown sugar
- Stir together butter and bitters.
- In a medium bowl stir flour, oats and brown sugar.
- Drizzle butter over flour mixture as evenly as possible and stir well.
- Refrigerate 30-60 minutes.
- When ready to assemble crisp, remove topping from refrigerator and crumble with your fingers. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Core apples; quarter and slice about 1/4” thick.
- In a 9-inch deep dish pie plate or square baking dish, toss together apples and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp brown sugar and toss again.
- Scatter topping over apples.
- Bake 35 minutes. Let cool 1 hour, then spoon onto plates or bowls.
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.