We found a great recipe for a tasty Pineapple Upside Down Cake with Angostura® Aromatic Bitters. It is so delicious that we recommend you make this for your next celebration! The recipe is below, but you can see the original post here. Thanks Emma for such a great recipe!
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1/2 C packed brown sugar
- 3-4 dashes Angostura® Aromatic Bitters
- 6 pineapple rings (canned, juice reserved)
- Maraschino cherries
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C Greek yogurt (use any flavor you like)
- 4 tsp pineapple juice (reserved from can)
- 5-10 dashes Angostura bitters
- Heat oven to 350F. Butter an 8? square pan, line with a square of parchment paper, and butter the parchment. Cream butter, brown sugar, and bitters in a small bowl. Spread mixture into the prepared pan – I find that five or six seconds in the microwave helps to give this mixture sufficiently easy spreadage. Place pineapple rings and Maraschino cherries as desired on top of the butter mixture. I was able to fit five rings, plus a sixth that had been cut into quarters.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (using the paddle attachment), or by hand if you’d like a brief workout, beat the 10 Tbsp butter with granulated sugar for several minutes until light, fluffy and fully mixed. Meanwhile, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- When the butter mixture is fully incorporated, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture in two parts, alternating with the Greek yogurt, pineapple juice, and bitters.
- Pour batter into pan over fruit, spreading evenly with a spatula, pushing batter into the corners and along the pan’s edges.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, rotating once, until cake is caramelized and golden brown on the edges, and cooked through. Remove from oven, and set on a cooling rack for 30-45 minutes. When cool, turn out onto a plate, remove parchment paper, and serve.