Angostura bitters is gearing up for the 2013 Angostura Bitters Global Cocktail Challenge starting with the U.S. Finals in Chicago on October 18, 2012. We are excited to introduce you to one of our three U.S. finalists, Alex Renshaw. Meet Alex!
Name: Alex Renshaw (@AlexRenshaw on Twitter)
5 things To Know About Alex:
- I originally moved to Chicago to pursue improvisational comedy and work at a bar on the side to pay rent. Once I was introduced to the cocktail culture by my good friends and fellow bartenders Nate Howell and Mike Ryan of Sable Kitchen and Bar, I fell in love with it and never looked back.
- One of my favorite shots/elixirs is coconut water and a copious amount of Angostura bitters. I discovered this absolutely delicious combo compliments of bartender Jeff Donahue of Barrelhouse Flat.
- My bar at home is bigger than most back bars in Chicago. I would attach a picture but then no one would ever leave me alone.
- I truly enjoy making creative craft cocktails (How about that for alliteration?) at Sable but I find myself making mostly classics for customers, especially if a guest is newer to craft cocktails. You just can’t beat a well-made throwback.
- At the end of the day, my full time job is to make sure people have a good time at Sable or any other place I have the privilege to bartend. This is what I get paid for and that, to me, is pretty sweet. Did I mention I love my job?
Cheer for Alex in the Angostura Bitters Cocktail Challenge U.S. Finals in Chicago on October 18, 2012! Follow #AngosturaBitters and get live updates from @AngosturaHouse on Twitter and on our Facebook page.
Meet our other U.S. Finalists: