Recipe by: Rita Held, Angostura Culinary Ambassador
Do you love a steaming hot bowl of chili on a cold winter day? Or to watch the Super Bowl? This is not your everyday chili. Angostura bitters and chipotle chiles in adobo sauce add a smokey-bitter depth that is just plain delicious. Make the chili a day or two ahead and refrigerate – the flavor keeps getting better!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, finely chopped (about 3 C)
- 5 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 lbs lean ground beef (93%)
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire-roasted diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- 2-3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 Tbsp Angostura® Aromatic Bitters
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp ground ancho chiles
- 1/4 C Holland House red wine vinegar
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in an 8-quart pot. Add onion, garlic and ground beef. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is crumbled and is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine remaining ingredients except beans and salt. Use an immersion blender to puree, or place in blender container in two batches. Mixture does not have to be smooth, just smooth enough so the chipotle chiles are not chunky and are distributed throughout mixture.
- Stir into cooked beef. Add black beans to chili and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 25 - 30 minutes more. Add salt to taste.
- Top individual servings with shredded cheese, sliced green onion, sliced avocado, dollops of sour cream or Greek-style yogurt, or crunchy tortilla chips.
If you’d rather not puree these ingredients, just make sure the chipotle chile with adobo sauce are finely chopped or macerated. Add to beef along with all remaining ingredients. Use 3 chipotle chiles if you like chili on the spicy side. Remaining chiles may be frozen for future use. Pack them in twos in plastic wrap, then into a freezer bag. Recipe may be halved; use a 6-quart pot. This chili is gluten free!
Nutrition information per serving (8): 485 calories, 17.1g fat (6g fat, sat), 108mg cholesterol, 44.6g protein, 35.7g carbohydrate, 1120mg sodium, 12.8g fiber