A simple and lovely chocolate cake to delight your guests. You don’t even have to keep the “secret ingredient” a secret! It’s all about the Angostura® orange bitters!
Angostura Chocolate Orange Slice Cake
- 6 1/2 oz butter
- 1 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 C cocoa powder
- 3/4 C hot water
- 1 Tbsp Angostura® Orange Bitters
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 oz dark chocolate
- 4 oz whipping cream
- 1 C icing (powdered) sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp Angostura® Orange Bitters
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line, grease, and flour two (2) 8-inch cake pans.
- With electric mixer, cream butter with sugar until light, then add eggs one at a time until fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Combine cocoa powder with hot water, then add orange bitters and vanilla.
- Fold the flour mixture into the butter & egg mixture alternately with the cocoa & water mixture, and mix until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans & bake 35 - 40 minutes.
- Turn onto wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Make frosting by gently melting chocolate. After melted, remove from heat and add cream, icing sugar and bitters. Spread onto cooled cakes. Garnish with orange zest or chocolate shavings if desired.